Tuesday 8 December 2020

Yorkton-born Wyonzek getting set to head to officiate 2021 World Junior Hockey Championships


Tarrington Wyonzek, who grew up in the Yorkton and Canora area will have the chance to officiate on the World Hockey stage later this month.

The 28 year old was chosen to work as a linesman at the upcoming 2021 World Junior Hockey Championship in Edmonton, scheduled for December 26 to January 5, assuming there are no changes due to COVID. 


"I'm really excited, the World Juniors is one of the highest level IIHF events and during these times of uncertainty I'm just glad that I get a chance to work this event and proud to represented not only my province and my country but my hometown as well", Wyonzek said in a phone interview. 

The tournament is to take place in the same Bubble where the NHL held its games earlier this year.

Wyonzek says there's a process they have to go through before they are allowed in the Edmonton bubble. 

"Well currently I'm in a quarantine period at home here in Regina, and then I need three negative tests to come back to even get to travel to Edmonton, and then when we get there we quarantine in the hotel again and we need three more negative COVID test before we are allowed in."

Wyonzek adds right now the focus is on the World Juniors' but like any official the end goal for him is to get a shot at officiating in the National Hockey League one day.


Full audio with Wyonzek below:

No comments:

Post a Comment