Friday 7 May 2021

Yorkton's Kemp grateful for 5 year career in the Western Hockey League


(Photo/ Ryan McCracken- Medicine Hat News)


The abbreviated Western Hockey League season came to an end last night (Thurs) for the Medicine Hat Tigers, and that also spelled the end of the WHL and Junior career for Yorkton's Brett Kemp. 

"It's hard to believe the time has come has come already, seems like yesterday I was interviewing you Benny on Bantam draft day and now here we are, but I made so many friendships and memories that'll last forever."

Kemp suited up in 261 career WHL games where compiled 97 goals, 124 assists for 211 points with the Tigers, Edmonton Oil Kings and Everett Silvertips. 


He also suited up earlier in 2020/21 season with his hometown Yorkton Terriers where he had 10 points in 6 games. 

"That was an experience I'll never forget, I grew up watching the Terriers and I was grateful to get the chance to suit up with them as well."

The Tigers finished the season with a 14-8-0-1 record, good for 2nd place in the WHL's Central Division. 

Kemp admits this year was pretty different. 

"Yea it was definitely different with all the restrictions and guidelines and all the COVID testing, but in the end I was just happy that I got the chance to finish off my Junior career."

So what's next for the 21 year old?

"I'm not quite sure yet, I would like to play pro some where next season that's the goal, but I'm going to take a few weeks off & relax and see what happens from there." 


=================


Full audio with Kemp below:
   

No comments:

Post a Comment