Sunday 6 December 2015

Wayway; Swan Valley both drop decisions on Sunday Night

The Wayway Wolverines dropped their 2nd straight on Sunday night while the Selkirk Steelers won their 3rd straight in the process defeating the Wolverines 4-0 at the Wayway Arena Complex.

It wasn't the opening period the Wolverines were looking for as they allow 3 goals in the opening 7:50 to the visitors. Nathan Halvorsen would get his 1st of 2 of the period at the 4:40 mark of the opening frome to make it 1-0. Then just 30 seconds later Dallas Starodub would go top shelf over the right shoulder on Troy Martynuik (making his Wayway debut) for his 8th of the year to make it 2-0. Halvorsen would get his 2nd of the night, when his shot would squeak through the Wolverine goaltender to give the Steelers a 3-0 lead after 1. Shots 9-4 Selkirk.

After a scoreless 2nd period, the Wolverines would continue the strong play from the middle frame into the 3rd but on this Sunday night, the bounces and goals would not go the way of the home team. Ty Kraus would knock his team leading 13th goal of the season into the empty net to ice it for the Steelers to give them a 4-0 victory.

Brett Friesen got his 2nd shutout in as many starts for Selkirk making 28 saves while Troy Martynuk, who was making his Wayway debut turned aside 25 of 28 shots in the loss.

The Wolverines' next action will be on Tuesday night as they host the Portage Terriers at 7:30
(All funds raised at this game will be going to former Wolverine Braden Pettinger as he recovers from his injuries)


Meantime up in Swan River,  Zach Degraves stopped 50 of 51 shots for the Swan Valley Stampeders but it wasn't quite enough as the Stamps earned a point but dropped a 2-1 decision in the shootout to the Steinbach Pistons.

16 year old Riley McKay had the lone goal for the Stampeders whose next action will also be on Tuesday night as for the first time this season they'll battle the Dauphin Kings in Dauphin at 7PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment