After an extensive search the SJHL's Melville Millionaires and their board of directors have found their new bench boss.
The hockey club announced on Thursday that they have hired Mike Rooney as their new Head Coach and General Manager.
"I'm really excited for the opportunity and challenge, I know its a great location there in Melville with
good people and players & I'm hoping to a great and successful product on the ice", Rooney said in a phone interview this morning (Fri).
Rooney spent this past year as the Skills Coach with the AAA and Elite programs at the Athol Murray College of Notre Dame in Wilcox, Saskatchewan and he will go right to work in his role.
"First thing I did was get familiar with the list and players, and now its now time to get in contact with them and introduce myself to them and get prepared for everything moving forward."
The Yellow Grass, Saskatchewan product returns to the SJHL after last being in the league as GM/Director of Player Personnel with the Notre Dame Hounds from 1997 to 2000 and before that was the Head Coach/GM of the Kindersley Klippers from 1995-97.
Rooney also has an extensive scouting background having scouted for over 15 years with a number of NHL (Nashville Predators & Buffalo Sabres) and WHL teams (Saskatoon, Swift Current and Regina) and also is the camp director of Western Prospects Hockey and is the founder of Exceptional Hockey.
Associate Coach and Assistant GM Jarett Waldbauer will remain with the hockey club in both roles.
Q & A with Mils Head Coach/GM Mike Rooney
1. What's you're feeling and excitement to be named the Mils new Head Coach/GM?
2. What made you get back into coaching after scouting at the NHL level for so many years?
3. What intrigued you about the position in Melville?
4. What do you know about the community and the hockey club?
5. What qualities do you bring to the hockey club as Head Coach and GM?
6. What's the next step now for you in your new role?