Saturday 30 November 2013

Terriers win streak snapped in Weyburn on Friday night

The Yorkton Terriers had their 5 game win streak snapped but did continue their point streak to 8 games as they lost 3-2 in the shootout to the Weyburn Red Wings on Friday from Crescent Point Place.

It definitely wasn't the start the Terriers were looking for as just 14 seconds into period number 1, a sloppy play in the defensive zone would allow Josh Lees, the Red Wings captain to jump on a loose puck and rip it over the right shoulder of goalie Riley Medves to give the Wings a early 1-0 lead in the opening minute. The Wings would control most of the 1st period and they would add another one as Matt Eng went wide and jammed his way towards the slot and got a shot away on net but the rebound would come right back to him and he would put it past Medves for his 1st to give the Wings a 2-0 lead after 1 period.

In the 2nd period, it would be the Terriers best period of the night and they would be able to get one past Rylan Parenteau as Dylan Johnson would jump on a loose puck in the slot for his 4th goal of the season and it came on the power play to cut the Wings to 2-1 after 40 minutes of play.

Daylan Gatzke would begin the 3rd period off on the right foot as he would drive wide on the Wings dman and then would go forehand, backhand past Parenteau to even the game up at 2-2. Minutes later, the Terriers thought they got their first lead as Josh Ellis was wide open in the slot for the one time but somehow Parenteau came across and made an unbelievable save with the right pad to keep it deadlocked at 2-2 after regulation. Overtime would solve nothing and we would be headed to the shootout.

In the shootout, the first 7 shooters together from both sides would miss and the only to score would be the Wings' Jon Brumwell and that would stand as the game winner to give the Wings a 3-2 shootout win.

Rylan Parenteau stopped 31 shots for the win while Riley Medves stopped 28 in a losing cause.

The Terriers will go right back at it on Saturday hosting the Melfort Mustangs at 7:30 FAA.
Also in the SJHL,

The Melville Millionaires got back on the win track as Isaiah Plett stopped 18 shots for his 2nd SO of the season as the Mils blanked the Nipawin Hawks 5-0.

Mathew Cameron led the way with 3 points (1g, 2a) while Landon Farrell, Cole Berreth, Eric Meyer and Reed Murray also scored for the Mils.

The Mils will finish up their road trip on Saturday when they visit the Flin Flon Bombers at 7:30.

In the Manitoba Junior Hockey League,

The Swan Valley Stampeders defeated the Sherwood division leading Virden Oil Capitals 5-1 at home on Friday night.

Braydon McDonald (2g 1a) and Max Flanagan (3a) led the way with 3 points each while Carter Johnson, Dylan Favell and Bo Sigurdson also chipped in with goals for SV.

Nathan Armstrong stopped 30 shots for the victory. The Stamps will host the Neepawa Natives on Saturday night at 7:30 from the Centennial Arena.

No comments:

Post a Comment